"It was hard to make the decision to give up my home. But the people here are very kind. And there are all sorts of activities so you’ll never be bored. I like the fact that I can still make decisions. If I want my privacy, I can stay in my room. If I feel like visiting, I have plenty of friends around."
We believe therapeutic recreation isn’t about keeping people busy, but rather keeping them engaged in opportunities that promote health and wellness. We want each individual to gain a sense of purpose and joy from every offering—whether it addresses their personal physical, social, intellectual, emotional, or spiritual interests.
Our recreation staff offers these programs both individually and in small and large groups to meet the needs of all those we serve. Activities are offered during the day and some on evenings, weekends, and holidays. Each community has a weekly or monthly calendar. Programs are open to all who are interested. We always welcome family to join in the fun with their loved ones as well!
- Community outings
- Adapted sports
- Music Program
- Creative Arts
- Baking programs
- Wii game competitions
- Intellectual pursuits i.e. trivia, word games, discussion groups, short stories, book clubs, word scrambles, history, crosswords, reminiscing, poetry and literature.
- Technology classes and use (i.e., iPads, computers, etc.)
- Local school events (i.e., dance recitals, plays)
- Exercise classes (i.e., yoga, dancing)
- Organized picnics
- Wedding Vow Renewals
- Pet Visitation
- Veterans Celebrations
- Social programs
- Special events, like onsite entertainers and shows
- Manicures, pedicures, hand massages, and other self-care activities
- Holiday Celebrations and Seasonal Events, i.e. Mothers and Father’s Day, Grandparents Day, etc.
- Birthday parties
- And more festivities
Ask for the Recreation Director at your community for any question you have about programming, religious services, special events and outings. Or contact Brenda J. McCutcheon, Therapeutic Recreation Director/VP Mission, at (315) 413-3364 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any assistance.